[Avodah] new manuscripts

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 10:11:31 PDT 2013

We all know the opposition of CI to new manuscripts including R. Chananel
as being unreliable. I recently saw in an article by R. Brodt a list of
many achronim that indeed do rely on R. Chananel including the Mishneh
Bruruah, Cheshek Shlomo and R. Isser Zalman Meltzer.
In particular Avodat Hamelech extensively uses R. Chananel to explain
difficult Rambam's on the assumption that Rambam frequently follows the
opinion of R. Chananel.

In summary it would seem that the opinion of CI is a singular opinion.
Especially with the passage of time it  has become a standard perush on
gemara.

--
Eli Turkel