[Avodah] Pills on Yom Kippur

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 12 15:59:39 PDT 2013

Growing up, those who expected caffeine-withdrawal headaches, or just
pain from fasting, would make sure to have suppositories. About 10 years
ago I saw caffeine capsules, time released. Today I was informed about
a tzedaqah selling long-term time-release pain killers as a fundraiser.

But I'm wondering... Why? Why is taking a regular pill when you have a
headache considered akhilah? It's not ra'ui la'akhilah. It's not even an
issue of being flavored and achshevei. I know there is something to this
"don't enjoy the taste" thing because the Shemiras Shabbos keHilkhisah
39:8 recommends wrapping pleasantly flavored pills in a thin paper and
then swalloing.

The only thing I could think of was the Chasam Sofer (Chiddushim on RH 9a)
would not allow taking something that alleviates the inui of fasting. BUT,
that would apply to a time-release pill taking erev YK as well.

So can someone please explain to me the whole pills-on-YK
thing? (Hopefully I'm more alert than during the "Yihyu leRatzon Imrei
Finu" thing and actually will understand the explanation.)

GCT!

Micha Berger             Despair is the worst of ailments. No worries
micha at aishdas.org        are justified except: "Why am I so worried?"
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507