[Avodah] Rosh Hashana: The Universal Two Day Yom Tov

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Sep 12 12:24:52 PDT 2013

 From http://tinyurl.com/lgr2sn3

Although my good friend Moshe moved from Eretz Yisrael to America
several years ago, nevertheless, he (as do many others) enjoys
returning for Yom Tov. "There is nothing quite like celebrating Yom
Tov in Eretz Yisrael", he is wont to say. Yet, living in Chutz
La'aretz, he still cannot get over observing what should ostensibly
be a one-day Yom Tov for two days. With a record number of 'Three-Day
Yom Tovs' (Two days of Yom Tov immediately followed by Shabbos) in a
row, this year his dilemma is easily understandable. Why should a
Biblical holiday that is explicitly mentioned as a one day Yom Tov be
celebrated for two?

<Snip>

In conclusion, we should realize that 'Yom Tov Sheini' is not simply
a chumra, but rather halacha, established millennia ago by our great
leaders. Although those of us living in Eretz Yisrael are largely
exempt from its observance, we fortunately merit tasting its extra
kedusha at least once a year: on Rosh Hashana!

See the above URL for much more. YL