[Avodah] defense against rape or assault

M Cohen mcohen at touchlogic.com
Sun Sep 1 10:29:00 PDT 2013

The question asked to me was practical

However, my post to Avodah was intended to cover the halacha from  both
theoretical and practical viewpoints.

RZS writes ..that one may take "life" to mean "life or limb",

Or that that rape of a single woman who is tehorah and not related to her
attacker can also be regarded as included in arayos,

and in the right the Torah gives to kill the would-be rapist of an ervah.

I see no evidence whatsoever of this.

RDE brought several sources that do not answer my question.

He shows that the nirdaf (and family) could kill the attacker in the classic
torah case of rodef

He shows that the nirdaf (and family) could hit an attacker in rtn in cases
of assault

I wanted to know if a nirdaf is allowed to kill their attacker (NOT in the
classic torah case of rodef - murder or arayos)

(ie they 'know' that the attack is not a case of attempted murder or arayos,
but 'just' to rape a penuaya or beat them)

Thanks for your comments

KVCT, Mc