[Avodah] Chilul Hasheim, Mitzvos and Aveiros

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 21 14:33:31 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 2:21pm -0700, R Saul Newman replied to something
I wrote on Areivim:
:>                            .... A qiddush hasheim requires someone doing
:> Hashem's Will and thereby attracting people to it. A person can't make
:> a qiddush hasheim by committing an issur.

: and the converse, also true , one can't commit a chillul hashem by doing a
: mitzva...

By fulfilling a chiyuv or avoiding an issur, yes. But is it truly
impossible for someone to commit a chilul hasheim for doing a
non-mandatory or conditionally obligatory mitzvah when the condition
could have been avoided at no spiritual loss?

What about chumeros? Commiting to a chumerah is a positive thing, and
following through, a mitzvah. But are you asserting it's impossible
to cause a chilul hasheim for choosing that chumerah over observers'
impression of Hashem and His Torah?

Micha Berger             We are what we repeatedly do.
micha at aishdas.org        Thus excellence is not an event,
http://www.aishdas.org   but a habit.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Aristotle