[Avodah] Holding the Torah Upright

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Aug 18 10:38:09 PDT 2013

 From http://tinyurl.com/kyjso93

By Rabbi Yirmiyohu Kaganoff

Question #1:

"I was recently in a shul where they took out the sefer Torah, opened
it and carried it all around the shul, showing everyone with a yad
where the beginning of the keri'ah is. I had never seen this before,
and was wondering if this is a common practice. Is it mentioned in
halachic sources, or does it simply manifest someone's enthusiasm?"

Question #2:

Is there any halachic basis for the custom on Simchas Torah of
reversing the sefer Torah so that the writing faces away from the magbiah?

See the above URL for more.  YL