[Avodah] BP chicken and egg issue

Herbert Basser basserh at queensu.ca
Fri Aug 16 14:56:38 PDT 2013

>Sholom Simon <sholom at aishdas.org>
>queried
>If an egg found in a Shechted chicken is considered a fleish egg, one would
>think a BP would certainly be fleish, no?
>
>>I say in response
>>Nice thought, but consider this - how does it become non-meat once it is
laid? We may fry eggs in butter. So, you will say its not really meat Min
HaTorah, its just a Rabbinic ordinance; thats great - so tell me how it
transitions from a Shekets into a Kosher chick, when it opens its eyes or
according to others, when it emerges from its shell?

-----------R. Dovid Bleich wrote in volume (edited by E Kanerfogel)  based on a conference on YU concerning Rashi, Rambam and Ramban that the parameters of eating birds are different than those governing animals--  one comes from an egg and one directly from the mother. the bird's connection to specie comes solely from resemblance to the bird and not by virtue of birth---.
unlike animals whose identity is based on the mother from whom it sprung. An egg itself is neither an animal born of mother nor a bird hatched from an egg. All three have separate categories.

Zvi Basser