[Avodah] on orthopraxy

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 9 09:40:15 PDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:28:29AM -0700, R Saul Newman wrote to Areivim:
: http://www.jewishjournal.com/morethodoxy/item/i_have_not_been_troubled_by_them_another_angle_on_the_question_du_jour

: question--if one became convinced that tora was NOT mishamayim [r'l],
: would the proper response to become orthopraxic , or to drop everything?

If one found observance to be redemptive, then it would make sense to
become Orthopraxic. Some variant of C philosophy would leave gaps in
one's worldview that may be small enough to ignore.

However, if one did experience the depth of shemiras hamitzvos, why/how
could they be convinced Torah is not miShamayim? The halachic process
which gave them this version of halakhah presumes that the text is
sufficiently Divine to find mounds of halakhos in the very tagin of the
letters. (Even assuming that's guzma.) If the text has imperfections
due to the human hand, then what does that say of derashos, etc...?

There are also philosophies close to O, or even within O, that accept
the data that led to Document Theories within O assumptions. (Not that
I personally think the evidence is sound, but we are talking about
alternatives for RSN's hypothetical nebich-a-kofer.) I posted about this
not that long ago.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             If a person does not recognize one's own worth,
micha at aishdas.org        how can he appreciate the worth of another?
http://www.aishdas.org             - Rabbi Yaakov Yosef of Polnoye,
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  author of Toldos Yaakov Yosef