[Avodah] Must we agree with the Torah?

shalomyitz at comcast.net shalomyitz at comcast.net
Thu Aug 8 09:32:19 PDT 2013

OK. I deliberately made my subject header provocative... Of course we have
to agree with the Torah in the sense that we have to obey the Torah. However,
I want to know if we have to be happy about everything that HaShem commands
us (or, at least try to). I may wish that I could eat bacon ; obviously I can't do it, but
is it a problem if I want to and wish the Torah made bacon kosher?

It seems to me that we are at least obligated to accept that HaShem has some reason
for all of His mitzvot -- but that doesn't necessarily imply that we can understand those
reasons and so it may be that from our perspective we would want to do something that
He tells us we can't/shouldn't.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and especially sources ...