[Avodah] A Race to Save the Orange by Altering Its DNA - Esrog problem?

hankman hankman at bell.net
Sun Jul 28 20:45:52 PDT 2013

A Race to Save the Orange by Altering Its DNA

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/science/a-race-to-save-the-orange-by-altering-its-dna.html?hp&_r=0

The above article raises several questions to be asked by religious Jews.

If this microbial attack is on citrus in general then has anyone heard whether the esrog has been affected and is in danger much like the orange?

Second, it raises the question whether the potential solution via genetic manipulation for resistance will become a halachic problem for the kashruth of esrogim.

I am aware that this sort of issue has been discussed wrt kashruth of various vegetables, fish and animals. I am not familiar with the various positions staked out there and whether they are basically the same issues that might be raised wrt to esrogim.

Kol tuv

Chaim Manaster