[Avodah] Tisha Bav Krovetz 14 stanzas

David Wacholder dwacholder at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 23:01:56 PDT 2013

Kinna/Piyut of HaKalir beginning "Zechor Eicha Anu Sefateinu"
In Machzor Roma Part One [Hebrewbooks_org_44325  364] , we have the
“ancestors” of Ashkenaz Kinna. Their community was one of the oldest
in Europe. , one of the oldest versions, they said Krovetz style
verses on every blessing of the Amidah up to Boneh Yerushalayim. Most
Kehillos skip them, and our Kinna #6 joins HaKalir midstream for the
last eight stanzas. R’ Feuer attempts to explain the complex patterns,
see Artscroll Kinos page 152. Amudei Ha’avodah page 38-39 hints at the
pattern in obscure fashion.
Ginzei Schechter Volume One, pages 246-297 brings from the Cairo
Genizah the earliest and the most erudite exposition of this Piyut. It
is attributed to the author of Midrash Lekach Tov and was written well
before the time of Rashi.  Lekach Tov detects in the 154? Lines:
all  12 tribes, 12 Mazalos, 24 Mishmaros Kehunah, 12 months.
The following applies to the first 14 verses which I found in Machazor
Roma, though the printer did not preserve the line structure. It is
only understandable with the Piyut in front of you from Machzor Roma.
BODY is six lines, each; line with consecutive alliteration the
alphabetical letter - e.g. Aleph Alephl and often a third one
KEY TO BODY SIX LINES
REFRAINS: Zchor, Eicha…., Vlo Zacharta… Uv’chein … Zchor HVY-H Meh Haya Lanu
Main 6  lines  keyed by two consecutive words with same initial – alef
alef [b b, g g, etc.]
Line_1=Extra prefatory Word from Kina 5 _Pos-1
              Line_1=Word-First [after preface]  from Kina 4 _Pos-1
Line_2=Word_1  from Kina 3 Pos-3
Line_3=Word_1  from Kina 3 Pos-2
Line_4=Word_1  from Kina 3 Pos-1
Line_5=Word_1  from Kina 2 Pos-1
Line_6=Word_1  from Kina 1 Pos-1
      Lines_1-to-6 rhyme them EINU [rhyme ELOKEINU]
Line_6=Word_Last  is Kina 1 Posuk-1’s last word
KEY TO CONCLUDING LINES
Line_7=Word_1 repeats is Kina 1 Pos-1’s last word Line_6=Word_Last
Line_8 begins always Lamah Tihyeh
Line_9 begins always eZechor
Line_7-9 rhyme theme Racham [rhyme Avraham]
Kina 5 supplies word-#1 of Line #1 ;; end of very same pasuk is BOTH
 Baruch Atah HVHY MAGEIN AVRAHAM

Email: dwacholder at gmail.com
dwacholder at optonline.net