[Avodah] Haman and Amaleik

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Tue Feb 26 08:36:36 PST 2013

You seem to be saying that those who killed Haman, and those who killed his sons, and those who killed other Amalekim of the day, did not fulfill a mitzvah thereby, because there were other Amalekim still alive, and the destruction of the nation was only partial.

If so, I'm curious where you get this. My guess is that you might be getting it from the haftara about Shaul, who supposedly ignored the mitzvah by allowing Agag to stay alive. But I would have thought that each Amaleki is a separate mitzvah, and that Shaul DID fulfill the mitzvah with the others he killed, but that he was m'vatel this one other mitzva.

Akiva Miller
IIRC R'YBS differentiated between a communal mitzvah to defend the Jewish people and an individual mitzvah to wipe out descendants, but others said that the whole mitzvah is only a communal one so I suppose then the question is does some subset of the Jewish people in the diaspora with no king qualify as a community for this purpose and does only having the ability to wipe out some subset qualify as an attainment.
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.