[Avodah] Hamakom yinachem eschem

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Dec 8 15:20:38 PST 2011

There is, unfortunately, a young woman who lives on my block sitting
Shiva right now for her husband.  Since he was not from an observant
home,  most of the time she is sitting alone.

The signs from Misaskim all have the plural on them, namely, eschem.

Tonight I raised the issue of why we do not use the singular when we
say Hamakom when she is the only one sitting.  Someone said that this
was raised when some rabbi was present and he said that one should
use the plural "since the Neshama of the deceased is also
present."  I replied that "I have no idea what to make of
this!"  Furthermore,  the title of the first essay in A Unique
Perspective: Essays of Rav Dr. Joseph Breuer ZT"L,  1914 -  1973  is
HaMakom Yinachem Osoch.

Any thoughts on why people often use the plural even when there is
only one mourner.  YL