[Avodah] Halachic Policy Guidelines of the Kashrus Authority of Australia

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Nov 28 06:56:59 PST 2011

I am moving the discussion of different kashrus
standards from Areivim to Avodah, because I think
the information below belongs on Avodah.  YL

Please see http://www.ka.org.au/index.php/Halachic_Policy/

Note the following under
<http://www.ka.org.au/index.php/Halachic_Policy/Kashrut_Status_of_Oils_in_Australia.html>The
Kashrut Status of Oils in Australia

Following are some of the key Halachic issues, as
well as the practical situation as it relates to
oils both manufactured and brought into
*Australia*.  See the above URL for the entire article.

The following is from
<http://www.ka.org.au/index.php/Halachic_Policy/Kashrut_Standards_Today_-_An_Halachic_Discussion.html>Kashrut
Standards Today - An Halachic Discussion  Note
the sentence under The United States and
Israel  "Hence almost all kosher work is done via
certification and nullification can not be relied
upon." Also note the sentences under The Rest of
the World "According to the Noda B’Yehuda such
products, considering the particular
circumstances, are as kosher for the final
consumer as formally certified products. The Ksav
Sofer would concur only when there was no similar
product at the same price available. "

The United States and Israel

As the kosher consuming market in those countries
is very large the normal mode of identification
of kosher products is through certification. It
can universally be assumed that when a company
desires a kosher status it is to significantly
attract the kosher market and ultimately increase
production. Hence almost all kosher work is done
via certification and nullification can not be relied upon.

The Rest of the World

In the rest of the world two parallel systems
apply. On the one hand there are companies who
seek certification - and they do so to increase
their market potential and often to export to the
larger markets of the US and Israel. In the
certification of these products nullification can
not be relied upon. However there are also
companies that consider the kosher market as
totally insignificant - and they give permission
to have their products checked. They expect no
significant increase in turnover whatsoever. In
such cases nullification may be employed, or at
least a less thorough sub ingredient check, as
well as some other leniencies mentioned in the poskim.

These products are often published in lists with
the notification that indeed these are not
certified products but endorsed products. Such
lists appear in Australia , South Africa and the
United Kingdom as well as other countries.10
According to the Noda B’Yehuda such products,
considering the particular circumstances, are as
kosher for the final consumer as formally
certified products. The Ksav Sofer would concur
only when there was no similar product at the same price available.

The following is from
<http://www.ka.org.au/index.php/Halachic_Policy/The_Kashrut_Authority_and_Kashrut_in_Australia.html>The
Kashrut Authority and Kashrut in Australia

3. We have a third level (that does not exist in
the USA). These are what we have called
“approved” products manufactured by persons not
of the Jewish faith. I have written a detailed
article explaining the halachic rationale and
resultant differences as well as our current
policies in that regard and you may find it on
our website www.ka.org.au in the halachic
policies section. It is in relation to this
“level” that we indeed follow the London Beth
Din, The Manchester Beth Din, The Johannesburg
Beth Din, and all who currently list “approved” products.

Many might be tempted to say that the approved
products are ‘less kosher’ than certified
products – such a statement is in my opinion
wrong. The reality is that they fall under a different halachic paradigm.

An analogy to illustrate: It is without question
forbidden to add a drop of milk to chicken soup.
If one did so on purpose one would not be
permitted to eat the soup. However, if it fell in
by accident, and was batel b’shishim (nullified
using the one in sixty rule), the Halacha is
unquestionably that one is permitted to eat the
soup. Two apparently identical occurrences, yet
there are two opposite outcomes. The reason for
this is that we are dealing with two completely
different paradigms - the meizid (purposeful
intent) paradigm and the shogeg (unintentional/accidental) paradigm.

Similarly there are two distinct paradigms in
relation to supervision of kosher foods. The
certification paradigm, when a company comes to
you and pays you for your services as well as
markets also specifically to Jews; and the
approval paradigm, where you initiate the visit
to the company, you are not paid by the company
and the company are not particularly interested in the Kosher market.

In practice the following general guidelines are
used by us in the paradigm for approved products.
(For further details see the above mentioned article):

a. If there is a definitely non-kosher ingredient
then the product will not be listed regardless of
the ability to nullify. We do not rely on bitul in such circumstances.

b. If there is uncertainty as to the nature of an
ingredient or if it’s sub-components have not
been able to be thoroughly investigated –
provided that there is a reasonable likelihood
that it is of kosher origin and in the worst case
scenario the ingredient would anyway be batel –
the final product will be approved ( but never certified) .

c. Certain leniencies may be employed in relation
to the kosherisation of equipment and supervision
of such kosherisation as well as frequency of visitation.

The OU, OK and most US agencies ONLY deal with
the first paradigm. This is largely because of
the size of the kosher market and the Jewish
population of the USA. There are sufficient
certified products so it is not necessary to have
approvals. Furthermore, as companies are
specifically marketing also to kosher consumers,
it may not be possible halachically to employ the
approval paradigm. However in other countries,
such as the UK and Australia, where there are
insufficient products and the relative size of
our kosher consuming market is small we are
entitled halachically to employ the approval paradigm.

Note this last paragraph especially.

See the above URL for the rest of these articles.
 From this articles it should be clear why there
are differences between kashrus in the US and
Israel and the rest of the world and why one
should not extrapolate from the standards of one
organization in a given country to the situation in other countries.

YL