[Avodah] Sheva Brachot

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 30 08:59:26 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:38:10PM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: R' Chanani Sandler asked:
:> Since there is a halacha to "bentch" on a Kos Shel Bracha, why do
:> we call it "Sheva Brachot" if there are really only six Brachot
:> that are associated with the occasion?
: 3) I suspect the most likely answer might be that our use of the term
: "sheva brachos" for the week-long meals is only a carryover from using
: that term at the chupa...

Actually, haGafen has a different halachic status the entire week than
it usually does after bentching. Recall the whole rigamarole we do to
mix the wine? The reason for two cups is because we do not make chavilos
out of the birkhas hamazon and sheva berakhos. And because the "haGafen"
is on both we need to mix both cups -- but that turns the haGafen into
being both birkhas hanehenin and birkhas hamitzvah.

See EH 62:9 and nosei keilim, or find the sources the way I did --
cheat off RPFeldman of Kollel Iyun haDaf at
http://www.dafyomi.co.il/sotah/halachah/so-hl-008.htm (the archive of the
original email names the author, but this version is easier to read).

Micha Berger             The mind is a wonderful organ
micha at aishdas.org        for justifying decisions
http://www.aishdas.org   the heart already reached.
Fax: (270) 514-1507