[Avodah] Correcting a bal korei

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 29 11:51:21 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 06:06:59AM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> Drifting into Avodah territory, do you know where R. Yaakov said this,
>> as it contradicts a pretty clear Rema in OH, 142 that we do correct
>> mistakes that change the meaning of the words...

> Actually not contra the Manhig; the Ramo actually paskens *according* to
> the Manhig, as he's understood by the BY and most other poskim, i.e. that
> he's talking only about mistakes that don't change the meaning...

In practice, we're more meiqil than that, and only those that both don't
change the meaning AND the local norm is to be maqpid about.

For example, even though Ashkenazim never took mile'eil vs milera off the
books, we don't make a baal qeri'ah go back for them. And Rashi comments
on BA'ah vs ba'AH having difference tenses. Or ve'aCHALta (and you ate)
vs ve'achalTA (vav yahipuch -- you will eat). And degeishos -- there
are baalei qeriah who are careful to say "ishahh" for "her husband",
but would we correct one who didn't and thus spoke of "a woman" in error?

Nit: The term is either "qorei", "baal qeri'ah", or the Yiddish
"balkoirei" (no ayin pause between the patach's). A "baal qorei" would
be the qorei's husband.

Micha Berger             The mind is a wonderful organ
micha at aishdas.org        for justifying decisions
http://www.aishdas.org   the heart already reached.
Fax: (270) 514-1507