[Avodah] Lo Sachmod

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 20:12:59 PDT 2010

R' MB:
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:51:34AM -0400, Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
: Also, how does the Ibn Ezra jive with the Sifra (Kedoshim) that says that
R'
: EBA sad that a person should not say, "I don't want to wear Shaatnez,"
: rather he should say, "I want to, but my father in heaven decreed upon me
: that I can not!"?

What does R' Yisrael Salanter do? He makes a chiluq between kibush
hayeitzer,
doing the right thing despite taavos otherwise, and tiqun hayeitzer, which
is getting the taavos in line. (And primarily a consequence of the hergel
set up by kibush).

The Rambam is usually explained as making a chiluq between mitzvos sichlios
and shim'iyos. IOW, the Sifrei bedavqa applies to shaatnez or maachalos
asuros, but not to something people have a native understanding of, like
ayaros.

I'd like to see what R' Yisroel Salanter says in the source, but I'm afraid
that your p'shat won't answer my question as the Sifra specifically uses
these three examples: 1) Shaatnez 2) Chazir 3) _Lavo Al Ha'ervah_. You can
see for yourself here, Perek 9, Halachah 10:
http://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=14026&st=&pgnum=222&hilite=

KT,
MYG