[Avodah] using a pat of butter (was "Re: Making Ice Cream on Shabbat")

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Wed Jun 16 13:54:02 PDT 2010

Segue from the Avodah V27n130 discussion: can one use solid butter on
Shabbos (I'm thinking of 'shmearing' a pat onto baked goods, but I guess
the Q would also be relevant to placing a pat onto a hot food)?  Seemingly
involves not only a change from solid to liquid but also (more
importantly?) m'macheiq.  Normally, I would first ask such a Q of my Rav,
but as the issue is totally theoretical for me but may have general
relevance/applications....  Thanks.

All the best from
--Michael Poppers via RIM pager