[Avodah] Making Ice Cream on Shabbat

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 15 07:59:35 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 03:01:27PM +0300, Prof. Aryeh A. Frimer wrote:
> Has anyone seen a Halakhic discussion about making Ice cream on Shabbat.
> There is something known as an ice Cream ball
> [http://icecreamrevolution.com/; video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t3SWKYWCE&NR=1].  In one compartment you
> add ice and rock salt; in the other you add sugar, cream, and vanilla.
> Then you shake for about 10 minutes and the mix freezes during the
> agitation to give a pint of ice cream.

RSZA (quoted in Shemiras Shabbos keHilkhasah 10 fn 20) holds that one may
make ice cream on Shabbos. He makes a chiluq between ice cream and ice,
which some hold is nolad, and the SSK only allows when there is sufficient
need (eg for company, not for oneself). The Smaq assurs melting fat on
Shabbos because of the change from solid to liquid. RSZA holds that this
is because no one uses fat as a solid. Thus, the solid vs the liquid are
different things WRT nolad. Ice and water are both consumed, but are
used very differently. Ice cream, and cream are both edible as deserts,
so RSZA does not consider the transformation to be nolad.

Those shitos that permit ice should have no problem here either, I would
think. (Machloqes is discussed in 10:4 and fn 14.)

I recall from somewhere a shinui sheim issue, that would also apply to ice
and not ice cream. This magid shiur, whomever he was, argued that making
ice is a problem because "water" became "ice" (in whatever language
is local). However, juice ices are still refered to as "juice pops",
"orange [juice] ices", "frozon orange juice", etc... The shinui sheim
is less complete. He therefore excluded juice pops from the discussion
of nolad and ice.

Which would also apply in our case in Anglo countries, as ice cream
still contians the word cream. However, the question is being posted
by RAAF in Ramat Gan, where the shinui sheim to "gelidah" could be
an issue.

Searching for a maqor for applying shinui sheim to this situation was
beyond my Bar Ilan CD abilities, and Google hits seemed to only hit
unsourced previous statements by myself.

Micha Berger             I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy,
micha at aishdas.org        if only because it offers us the opportunity of
http://www.aishdas.org   self-fulfilling prophecy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Arthur C. Clarke