[Avodah] ethic outside of halacha

Jonathan Baker jjbaker at panix.com
Fri Jun 11 16:51:26 PDT 2010

RZS:

> One need only hear older yidden pronounce the words "pyanneh" and
> "teyatter" to understand the disdain that such seemingly pareve things
> evoked in that era.  Today, though, a cigar is just a cigar, and a
> piano is just a machine for making music.

I'm not sure what you mean.  My father's parents prounced the words "pyanneh"
and "teyatter", but they played piano (and clarinet and saxophone), in the
theatre (both here and in Russia).  It's just the way Russian Jews pronounced
them.

My grandfather played saxophone in the Philharmonic and at BF Keith's Jefferson
Theatre on East 14th St, around WWI.  My grandmother played piano in silent
movie theatres in Russia.  They came here in 1914.

--
        name: jon baker              web: http://www.panix.com/~jjbaker
     address: jjbaker at panix.com     blog: http://thanbook.blogspot.com