[Avodah] Ethics Outside Halacha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 9 07:58:45 PDT 2010

The whole "outside of halakhah" is paradoxical. As I noted here in the
past, one is saying it is ASSUR to be a naval biRSHUS haTorah. In which
case, how do we define "reshus" in that idiom?

So the question becomes how do we define "outside of halakhah". Are we
asking about ethics we would know even before the Torah was given? Do
we mean values relayed in aggadita that we must follow even though they
aren't amenable to codification as halakhah? Both?