[Avodah] Tefillin with plomba

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 7 11:38:32 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 07:02:58AM -0700, Simon Montagu wrote:
: I have never seen this before, either in pictures or in real life, but
: then I have only ever bought two pairs of new tefillin in my life. Is
: this common practice? Is one expected to remove the plomba before use?

I would have thought so.

But now to get on-topic for Avodah:
: The blogger thought it wouldn't be hatzitza, but I don't see why not,
: since at least in the pictures the wire that the plomba is attached to
: comes out under the corner of the bayit, though it would presumably be
: possible to attach them so that it didn't.

The Shaarei Teshuvah (OCh 27 s"q 5) discusses a practice of tying the
qesher to the bayis using a gid. He objects, since the gid would run
under the tefillah shel yad AND THUS BE A CHATZIZAH.

What I've seen today when the qesher is tied to the box is that the gid
used simply runs around, not beneath the box.

I don't see how the cases differ. Unless the plumba is attached with
actual leather, and unlike the gid that qualifies for min bemino eino
chotzeitz. (If that rule applies to chatzitzah as defined WRT tefillin.)

Micha Berger             "And you shall love H' your G-d with your whole
micha at aishdas.org        heart, your entire soul, and all you own."
http://www.aishdas.org   Love is not two who look at each other,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      It is two who look in the same direction.