[Avodah] ethic outside of halacha

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 01:55:27 PDT 2010

Whether there exists an ethic outside of halacha. The two most obvious
proofs are

1. Naval Bershut Hatorah - If the Ramban feels that one cannot keep
all the mitzvot
and still be evil it implies there is a definition of evil not
formally stated in SA (not historically correct)

I am not sure if the concept of hakarat hatov is officially mentioned
in SA but it is something
we expect even from a nonJew and it certainly is not part of the 7
Mitzvot of Bnei Noach

I read a story of RMF who asked a talmid to accompany him while he
raised charity.
The tamid went to pay for his transportation but RMF insisted on
paying. After an argument
the talmid finally told his RY that if Rav Moshe was so insistent then
it nust be in SA.
Rav Moshe answered - no its not in SA but its the right thing to do
since I asked you to come.

2. Avraham's argument with G-d of Sdom - accusing G-d of not doing
justice. It certainly
implies that Avraham considered the destruction of Sdom as being
against fundamental justice
at least if some righteous people are there.
BTW it is not clear from the psukim if G-d accepted the plea if at
least 9-10 righteous
people had lived there because of the defense of Avraham or that would
have happened in
any case.
Similarly with the pleas of Moshe Rabbenu. We also see from Moshe
Rabbenu that what
the "goyim" would say is an important factor. In the sin of the golden
calf it is one of
3 arguments of Moshe and in the sin of the spies it is the only
argument of Moshe.
Hence, chillul hashem because of goyim is important

--
Eli Turkel