[Avodah] Why was Miriam sent out the camp?

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 00:28:31 PDT 2010

(Re: end of Beha'aloscho, Devorim Ch. 12)

I always assumed that Miriam was sent out the camp because she had Tzora'as.

However, this cannot be, since a Metzora is only be sent out the camp
after an initial week (or 2) of Hesger; a waiting period to see if the
Tzora'as grows/shrinks.

- Why was Miriam sent out the camp?
- What happened to Miriam's Tzora'as?

The Ohr haChaim haKodosh (12:14) seems to be the only one to address
this question, by saying that Moshe's short Tefila was accepted and
the Tzora'as was cured.

Miriam was sent out the camp for a week as a punishment, as the Posuk
explicitly says "If her father had but spit in her face, should she
not be ashamed seven days".

So now we have a new type of punishment - a severe type of Niduy;
being sent out the camp for 7 days - that I don't recall seeing
anywhere else.

Are there any other ways to learn these Psukim?

- Danny

Danny Schoemann - doniels at gmail.com
http://mitzvoh.blogspot.com - http://halocho.blogspot.com