[Avodah] everyone is a liar

Arie Folger arie.folger at gmail.com
Fri May 28 06:40:09 PDT 2010

RZS wrote:
>  In Chazal's day a road was
> a road, it came about long ago in a single event,
> and it would be a road forever more.

Actually, that is incorrect. I grant you that many roads were
unplanned, but as is evident even from the Gemara Shabbat 33b, where
the Romans' infrastructure building, including bridges and
marketplaces, is discussed by Rashbi and some colleague Tannaim, in
Chazal's days, infrastructure was surely planned and executed by the
government. Note that while roads aren't explicitly mentioned, roads
are what connect bridges to marketplaces, and the Romans are known to
have built a lot of all of those.

Otherwise, I shall continue reading your interchange, which is most informative.
--
Arie Folger,
Recent blog posts on http://ariefolger.wordpress.com/