[Avodah] is there morality outside of the Torah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 25 14:59:55 PDT 2010

See also RY Amital's talk at
<http://www.vbm-torah.org/archive/chag70/shavuot70-a.htm>, 2nd article.

I see there being two similar issues and their distinction is worth
underlining.

The question in the subject line is:
1- Is there morality outside of the Torah?
   This is the question of whether we believe natural morality exists.
   (RYA's section II)

2- Is there Torah mandated morality outside of halakhah?
   (RYA's section III)

   Lifnim mishuras hadin -- how does one define "within"? How do you
   define tov, yashar, qedoshim tihyu... And when chazal speak of
   derekh eretz preceding Torah by 26 generations, what is derekh eretz?
   What does ve'ahavta lereiakha obligate? The position is contradicted
   by the Ramban's concept of naval birshus haTorah, as well as his
   tatement on "ve'asisa hatov vehayashar" that it sums up interpersonal
   morality in all the myriads of way the rest of the pereq (Vayiqra 19)
   can't possibly cover. It is also rejected by the Rambam, as is seen in
   his exploration of taamei hamitzvos in the Moreh, and in Hil' Dei'os's
   discussion of vehalakhta bidrakhav. Chassidus and Mussar obviously
   both consider the notion false, as both have further practices based
   on such derived values. Etc, etc, etc...