[Avodah] Tachanun

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Sun May 23 08:05:44 PDT 2010

RZS wrote:
> AFAIK the only time it can be said is immediately after shmoneh
> esrei, and if you missed that opportunity you can't say it later.

I would restate that. You can say Tachanun anytime you want (it's a
mixture of Tanakh citations, a chapter of Tehillim, and prayer based
on lashon Tanakh - what's the problem with that? Assuming you want to
express yourself in prayer).

However, as far as fulfilling the meaning and being effective in the
way of Ta'hanun, it only has that status and that effect immediately
after the 'amidah, and provided one didn't interrupt even with talking
(see Tur or SA, memory fails right now, but it's either in one of both
of them). Obviously, the repetition of the 'amidah is not meant for
keeping up with the day's forecasted stock prices.

RMB wrote:
> Tefillah is an excercise in becoming the kind of person who
> can relate to the A-lmighty and has the right priorities. That's
> why we say what AKhG ("umeihem kamah nevi'im") told us
> to say as developed by Chazal and geonim. Also, why the
> verb is in the reflexice (lehitpallel).

Eh, the act of reciting ta'hanun is also reflexive: lehit'hanen (occurs,
for example, in Esther 4:8).

Kol tuv,
--
Arie Folger,