[Avodah] question regarding a Shach

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 21 13:00:36 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:06:16AM +0200, Ben Waxman wrote:
: This question has come up before but I'd like to get your input. The
: Schach in YD 119:20 writes that someone who does not eat something
: because of minhag avotav/haqpada can eat it when being hosted by someone
: who does eat if "he sees a heter b'devar"...

The Shakh opens just with a discussion of mi shenizhar, not minhag avos,
and says mishum eivah outranks personal chumeros.

Then he seems to say explicitly that when it comes to minhag avos or
benei midanaso shenohagin kein, this is not true. However, given that
one can ascertain that the keli isn't ben yomo, you could use the keilim
that your minhag would not permit.

The very end, besheim haRaavan, the Mordekhai and the Agudah, is
not only where he believes his former minhag has no basis, but he is
currently not in the location where that's the minhag. IOW, it's not
a case like today where we carry a minhagei avos with us. Rather, it's
talking about a Hungarishe Yid who is spending a few years in Germany,
and is offered something Yekkes permit and he himself doesn't understand
why Hungarians wouldn't.

Again, this is arguably less-than-real-minhag.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 Life is complex.
micha at aishdas.org                Decisions are complex.
http://www.aishdas.org               The Torah is complex.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                                - R' Binyamin Hecht