[Avodah] brit

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 17 14:40:10 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:35:51PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
: Question - where is the concept of brit used
: 1. Brit Ben Habesarim
: 2. Brit Milah
: 3. Brit Sinai

There is a question whether beris bein habesarim is distinct from that
commemorated by the milah, or if there is a single beris avos.

Also, whether beris Sinai is distinct from beris avos with both falling
on Yaaqov's descendents, an addition to it but part of the same beris,
or replaces it altogether. Among the issues -- when was /our/ commandment
of milah or not to eat gid hanasheh given, at Sinai or beforehand?

: RYBS speaks of Brit goral forming the Jewish people even unwillingly in Eygpt
: and brit yeud  at Sinai

I think this is beris Avos vs beris Sinai. You're born into beris avos,
thus it's related to goral. You choose to give eidus to the giving of
the luchos ha'eidus, to being part of the eidah.

I'm not sure I fully
:
: what other britot are there?

I assume you mean between HQBH and people. (Not that between Avraham and
Avimelekh, or made with the Giv'onim, etc...)

The beris with Adam, supplanted by that with Noach.

Also, the beris made in arvos Moav is explicitly "eileh divrei
haberis... MILVAD haberis asher karas itam beChorev." (Dev 28:69) See
also the discussion on Sotah 37b. 48 berisim?

In the past I suggested that beris Sinai was between Hashem and a
collection of individuals, whereas when we were about to enter EY,
He struck a second one with BY as a corporate entity.

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Malchus: What binds different
Fax: (270) 514-1507             people together into one cohesive whole?