[Avodah] 14th ikkar?

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Thu May 13 09:28:09 PDT 2010

In Avodah V27#117, RSZN posts:
> a leitz blogger  makes the folowing  point-----
<< what is the fundamental principle of faith that defines Orthodoxy?
<< Clearly, most people would say TMS - Torah Min Hashamayim. Yet that is
very vague and insufficient. Christians also believe in TMS, and so do
Kairites. The real fundamental of Orthodoxy is in fact that Torah Shebal
Peh AS INTERPRETED BY CHAZAL, is ultimately Min Hashamayim (even if not
from Sinai)....>>
> ---- the premise  seems to be true.  so here's the takeoff on the
question
he asks:   why does the RMBM  not include unassailing emunas chachamim [
ie  total submission to their daas tora]   as one of the ikkarim of the
faith? <
I disagree with that premise.  I would say the "real fundamental"
differentiating "us" from "them" in re to TMS is that when we say "Torah"
as part of TMS, we mean not just Torah shebiKsav but also Torah sheb'Al
Peh, and that point RaMBaM encodes in his eighth ikkar (available online
at http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=11597&st=&pgnum=108 ; a
translation can be found in RJJB's Webpages at
http://www.panix.com/~jjbaker/13yesodos.html ).

All the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA