[Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on how Jewish women should dress

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 7 10:33:05 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 12:36:26PM -0400, David Riceman wrote:
: RMB:
:> Li nir'eh:
:> Kan bachutz, kan beinah uvein ishahh.

You might have noticed that I modified my position since. I made it
more subtle, reflecting the fact that Rachel's "ir shel zahav" tiara was
more about expressing her inner beauty than anything that should be kept
at home.

: RPL:
:> This means that a woman should look her best when she is at home with
:> her husband, not when she goes out in public.

: In addition to the Mishnah cited by RET (Shabbos 6:1) see the story about
: Mrs. Abba Hilkiyah in Ta'anis 23b "ki mata l'mata nafka d'vis'hu l'appei ki
: m'kashta".

What do we see from Shabbos 6:1? That if it weren't for hotza'ah,
women should go outside with jewelry, or that there is no real issur
even if it's suboptimal? I think there is room there on either side of
this debate.

Also, what do we see from Abba Chilkiyah's wife? That it's okay to dress
up for one's husband even when he brings home guests, or that she didn't
expect guests?

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Yesod: How does reliability
Fax: (270) 514-1507           promote harmony in life and relationships?