[Avodah] Blind Obedience

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 7 09:24:46 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 11:48:18AM -0400, Daniel Eidensohn wrote:
: On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
: > Over on Areivim, there is a discussion going on about what one would do
: > if HQBH, e.g. via nevu'ah, told you to do something that to human reason
: > appears cruel or violent. E.g. what would you do if you found and
: > identified an Amaleiqi newborn?

: *Radvaz(2:652): *Question: We have an established principle that if an
: established prophet should command us to transgress one of the mitzvos of
: the Torah except for idolatry we are to listen to him...

I didn't think the question was our chiyuv to follow the unthinkable if
HQBH would so command a navi to relay to us.

My assertion is that He wouldn't give that nevu'ah unless it were to
prevent greater human suffering. The question is a hypothetical that
can't happen, and thus like "If you had a brother, would he like
noodles?"

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Yesod: How does reliability
Fax: (270) 514-1507           promote harmony in life and relationships?