[Avodah] FW: : [Areivim] rain can really be a blessing

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri May 7 08:40:51 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 06:48:19PM -0400, Michael Poppers wrote:
:> Interestingly the TH there adds: "Ve'ata be'avonoseinu harabim omrim
:> 'Chodesh May hu mesugal lerefuah...

: I recently saw someone note the g'matriya of mem-yud (50) as significant.

51. The month name is probably from Maia, a fertility goddess. Although
Virgil writes about Maiores vs Iuniores -- Adults vs Juniors, May and
June. In either case, the month name originally would have required
an alef.

But I see the Taamei haMinhagim as proving his point about Iyar (or
perhaps Iyyar) and refu'ah by mentioning the common idiom. Not that it
being May has anything to do with the idiom. Rather *baavonoseinu harabim*
when we noted the effect we sadly associated it with may rather than Iyar.

The Rama holds a get written this month must have the spelled with two
yuddin, Iyyar (EhE 126:6). Even if the Ben Ish Chai quotes the Chida
about this segula based on rashei teivos "Ani H' Rofekha" and thus
assuming only one yud.

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Yesod: How does reliability
Fax: (270) 514-1507           promote harmony in life and relationships?