[Avodah] Dowries for marriage

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 6 05:58:37 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 05:22:30PM -0400, Yosef Skolnick wrote:
: SA Even Haezer Siman 2 Seif 1 Ramah (the whole thing) and Chelkat michokek
: to answer the stirah.
: http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=14398&st=&pgnum=12

Am I to understand from the Ramah that the whole subject of dowry is
based upon securing financial support? The question is yatzliach vs
"hamamon she'adam loqeiach im ishtoeino mamon shel yosher". Or am I
reading too much in?

His access to nichsei tzon barzel is conditional on accepting acharyus
to support her.

In which case, it would seem that a future kollelnik would have no
grounds for asking for a dowry altogether. And really shouldn't (I said
"shouldn't", not "couldn't") claim the money until after he is done
being supported by his in-laws and/or wife.

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Yesod: When does reliability
Fax: (270) 514-1507               require one to be strict with another?