[Avodah] Haleiv HaCompanies

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Apr 9 09:19:49 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 01:47:06PM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: In the English phrase, the knowledge is the ikar, and seeing it is
: merely a means to acquire that knowledge. In RMF's view (AIUI) seeing
: is the ikar, and knowledge of the event is an acceptable substitute.

I don't see it that way at all. (Pun intended, sorry.)

RMF is saying that lemaaseh, when chazal spoke of CY, they spoke of
re'iyah. Not that re'iyah is a defining feature. One is reading too
much into the idiom "anan sahadi" to think that the metaphoric sahadi
is somehow eidus-without-eidus.

: I get the feeling that I've pointed to a difference between Jewish
: and nonJewish ways of looking at the world. I suppose it has something
: to do with the importance of eidus and testimony, but I sense that it
: goes beyond that. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

"Einah domeh shemi'ah lere'iyah" comes to mind.

R' Lord Jonathan Sacks has much to say about shemi'ah being SUPERIOR
TO re'iyah, but WRT theology. We are a people of Shema Yisrael, not
iconography. Moshe's "'Peh' el peh adabeir bo" nevu'ah is above the
chazon. It comes up in his weekly Covenant and Conversation quite often.

Which admittedly is a different domain then metzi'us, but you did ask for
"any thoughts".

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?