[Avodah] Returning Taut akum

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Apr 9 07:42:00 PDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 12:58:14AM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
: Did anyone listen to a recent R' Reisman navi shiur  that mentioned this topic. IUC he was asked how one could return it, isn't there an issue of lo tchaneim- his answer iiuc (bshem R' Pam ) was that for tikun of one's middot it was acceptable .  When I looked up the Beer Haagolah he referred to it seemed that the reason was the kiddush hashem created...

Which is the usual reason given. E.g.
    Y-mi BM 2:5
    Rambam Gezeilah 11:3, see also Aveidah 11:3
    Beis Yoseif 266:1, SA 266:1
    SME 266:3

Eg: the SA writes that returning for the sake of qiddush Hashem is
"harei zeh meshubach", and in situations where the aku"m will likely
assume/realize the person who has it is a Yehudi there is a chiyuv.

And mipenei darkei Shalom, if he leaves the item in a place where the
Yehudi knows ganavim will come, he brings the item in just like one
of ours. We're only speaking of something dropped without awareness.

And when I say aku"m, I mean aku"m and NOT nachri in general. That's a
point made in Be'eir haGolah on 266, who says it's peshat in the Rambam
and the Tur WRT "machaziq yedeihem shel OVEREI AVEIRA". One must return
the aveidah of a nachri who believes in a Borei, which I assume means
within the limits of the 7 mitzvos (and thus not oveir aveirah).

IOW, I see no mention of developing middos either. Rather, of not
creating an image of lacking middos, because of chillul Hashem.

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?