[Avodah] Donor Kids and Adoption

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed May 12 09:50:50 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:53:28AM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote to Areivim:
: I guess you are assuming that biological siblings are going to end up
: mating and that their offspring will therefore be mamzerim. But is it the case
: that the offspring of a brother and sister are mamzerim? ...

Yes, they would be mamzeirim, even if it was beshogeig. The question I
have is whether AID, even where the donor is Jewish, actually produces
a halachic sibling. Isn't it like the question WRT surrogacy, whether
the surrogate or the egg donor would be the halachic mother?

Anyway, this cheshash WRT accidentally marrying a sibling is one cited
in the literature on halakhah and adoption. So if they are sibling, I
guess this would be the same problem.

But I don't understand how rov wouldn't apply -- it's a mi'ut delo shekhichah
that the girl just happens to meet her biological brother.

: know the answer to this question -- especially if the brother and sister
: do not know that they are brother and sister.

An agunah who remarried because beis din told her she could assume her
husband was dead could also produce a mamzer. It has nothing to do with
guilt; which makes sense to me, as the mamzer himself isn't guilty in
any case.

Micha Berger             Today is the 43rd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Malchus: How does unity result in
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           good for all mankind?