[Avodah] question regarding a Shach

Ben Waxman ben1456 at zahav.net.il
Wed May 12 01:06:16 PDT 2010

This question has come up before but I'd like to get your input. The Schach in YD 119:20 writes that someone who does not eat something because of minhag avotav/haqpada can eat it when being hosted by someone who does eat if "he sees a heter b'devar". What does that phrase mean? I learned this with a friend and he thought that it meant something which we all know is muttar, but have accepted not to eat it out of minhag (e.g. kitniot). On this list, someone thought that it meant "not insulting the host".

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Ben