[Avodah] Tefillas Mincha Voluntary?

Tal Moshe Zwecker tal.zwecker at gmail.com
Tue May 11 01:58:12 PDT 2010

Shalom uBracha All,

I am looking for a source that Mincha (the Tefillah not the offering) is
voluntary and not a chiyuv. I know we say this regarding Maariv that it is
reshus. I am asking because of the following Kedushas Levi:

Kedushas Levi to (Bereishis 24:63)

"Our Sages say (Berachos 26b): “Avraham established shacharis, the morning
prayer, as it says, ‘Avraham awoke early in the morning...and he went and
stood [in prayer] in the place of which G-d had spoken to him’ (Bereishis
19:27). Yitzchak established minchah, the afternoon prayer, as it says,
‘Yitzchak went out to pray [לשוח] in the field,’ and sichah is used here to
connote prayer, as in the verse ‘A prayer for the poor afflicted man when he
faints and pours forth his supplications [שיחו] before Hashem’ (Tehillim
102:1). And Yaakov established arvis, the evening prayer, as it says, ‘And
he prayed, beseeching Hashem’ (Bereishis 28:11). [The literal meaning of the
verse is ‘He encountered the place’; however, vayifga, ‘he encountered,’
also connotes prayer, and hamakom, ‘the place,’ is also a Name of Hashem’].”
But why is [the afternoon prayer] called “minchah”? We pray shacharis at
dawn — which in Hebrew is shachar. And the evening prayer, arvis, is prayed
in the evening — erev. But why is minchah called by this name?

The Tosafos Yom Tov (in his commentary to Mishnah, Berachos 4:1) also asks
this question, and he answers that it is called minchah because it is the
time when the sun retires — when there is menuchas hashemesh.

It seems to me that we can explain the reason for the name minchah with the
following idea:

We are obligated to pray the shacharis prayer because Hashem returns our
souls to us [in the morning], and in these prayers we say [before the
Shemoneh Esrei] the prayer of Emes V’Yatziv (Hashem is true and steadfast),
and we thank Hashem for all His many favors, such as the shining sun.

We are obligated to pray the evening prayer because we are now giving over
our soul to Hashem for safekeeping as a trust [when we sleep], and we
believe that the Blessed Creator is faithful and trustworthy to return this
soul with which He was entrusted, and therefore we say Emes VeEmunah (Hashem
is true and faithful).

However we are not obligated to pray minchah. It is voluntary, and therefore
it is called “minchah,” which means “gift” or nedavah."

Any ideas? (I thought perhaps he means relative to the way he is explaining
Shacharis and Maariv then Mincha is a voluntary tefillah.)

Kol Tuv,
R' Tal Moshe Zwecker
Director Machon Be'er Mayim Chaim
Chassidic Classics in the English Language
www.chassidusonline.com
chassidusonline at gmail.com
Phone: 972-2-992-1218 / Cell: 972-54-842-4725
VoIP: 516-320-6022
eFax: 1-832-213-3135
join the mailing list to keep updated about new projects here:
http://groups.google.com/group/beermayimchaim
Noam Elimelech, Kedushas Levi, Pirkei Avos more!
Discuss Chassidus
http://groups.google.com/group/torahchassidusdiscussion