[Avodah] No Smokers for My Daughters

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu May 6 09:22:59 PDT 2010

Please see the article at
http://www.jewishmediaresources.com/1366/no-smokers-for-my-daughters

I find it strange that Jonathan Rosenblum does not mention the psak
titled "The Prohibition of Smoking in Halacha" that is
at  http://www.rabbis.org/pdfs/Prohibition_Smoking.pdf   In light of
this, how can one call any young person who takes up smoking a Ben Torah?

When I emailed Rosenblum pointing this out, he replied, "That is not
a universally subscribed to opinion. I did not want to get into it."
I asked him for the names of those who disagreed with the RCA
opinion, but I have not heard back from him. Does anyone know of a
poseik who permits smoking today in light of what we know of the
health risks of this habit?

YL