[Avodah] Avodah] Rav Shimon Schwab on how Jewish women should dress

SBA sba at sba2.com
Thu May 6 07:47:27 PDT 2010

From: "Chana Luntz"
RYL quotes R' Shimon Schwarb as saying:
>   In general, from Yeshayahu's rebuke of Jewish women's flaunting of
> their clothing, jewelry, and beauty enhancements, it is quite clear
> that such mode of behavior is highly unbecoming a Jewish woman.

I do have to say that I find RSS's approach somewhat puzzling in the light
of Chazal though. One of the ten takanos of Ezra listed in Baba Kama 82a was
that peddlers should go from city to city for the sake of women's adornments
(tachshitei nashim, which Rashi explains as besamim - ie perfumes and
cosmetics).  The gemora explains on Baba Basra 22a that this was so that
such adornments would be readily available to the Bnos Yisroel, and on Baba
Kama 82b that this was so that they not become repulsive to their husbands.

Probably RSS would also have no problem with women making themselves
attractive to their husbands - at home. But doing so in public where there
other males brings on the rebuke of Yeshayahu.

Talking of which, a puzzling Rashi in Shmos 31:18 dh Kechaloso: "Ma kallah
miskashetes b-24 kishutin - hen ho'amurim besefer Yeshaya [3: 18-23]"

However when you look it up, you'll find that this is the same Yeshayahu
that RSS refers to and the Navi there is warning the Bnos Yisroel of
terrible punishments for outfitting themselves with these 24 kishutin.
Nowhere is there any mention of this being OK and the standard for a kallah.

Yelamdeinu raboseinu...

SBA