[Avodah] how women should dress

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Thu May 6 03:33:44 PDT 2010

>   Once a Jewish woman is aware of her greatness, of her holiness, of
> what she really is, she does not emphasize and flaunt her
> femininity.  Although we have many references to women's beauty in
> the Torah in connection with the Matriarchs, Sara, Rivka, and Rachel,
> such beauty always corresponded to and complemented their inner beauty.

I do have to say that I find RSS's approach somewhat puzzling in the light
of Chazal though. >>

To add to Chana's questions we have the famous story of Rabbi Akiva
giving his wife a
"city of gold" which was obvioulsy a very expensive ornament
Futhermore everal of the mishnahs of the sixth chapter of tractate
Shabbat enumerate various articles, among them apparel, ornaments, and
jewelry, with which it is permissible for women to go out into the
public domain on Shabbat, and others with which it is not. The opening
mishnah of the chapter lists, among other things, a "city of gold" as
one of the objects with which a woman may not go out to the public
domain.  The mishnaic tractate Eduyot (2,7) brings down in the name of
Rabbi Eliezer a differing opinion on the matter. "Three things did
they say before Rabbi Akiva, two in the name of Rabbi Eliezer...A
woman may go out with a city of gold". Three opinions on the issue
under discussion are found in the tosefta; those of Rabbi Meir, of the
Sages, and Rabbi Eliezer. From the tosefta we learn that the anonymous
view posited in tractate Shabbat is that of the Sages: "A woman should
not go out wearing a city of gold, and if she went out, she is liable
for a sin-offering, the words of Rabbi Meir. And Sages say, She should
not go out, but if she did go out she is exempt. Rabbi Eliezer says, A
woman goes out with a city of gold..." (Tosefta Shabbat 4,6).

We are talking here about wearing these on shabbat and there is no
hint that it is not
appropriate during the week because of tzniut. True there was a later
gezera but that
was because of the tragedies that fell to the Jews of that time. I
dont believe this was meant for all future generations

--
Eli Turkel