[Avodah] More on what constitutes chilul hashem

Beth & David Cohen bdcohen613 at gmail.com
Wed May 5 12:59:51 PDT 2010

R Zev Sero replied to me as follows:
"> The theoretical average frum Jew, otoh, thinks that the law itself has
> no application to him, that he is permitted to disregard it with
> impunity and any attempt by the State to impose a penalty is per se
unjust.
> IMHO, the attitudinal difference is what causes the chilul Hashem.
Assuming this attitudinal difference really exists, how does the non-Jew
know about it?"

Just take a look at the public pronouncements concerning the shaimos dumping
without a permit, as quoted in the local press (whether accurate or not) and
you can see just how the non-Jews know. And I will hazard going one step
further --- just like Caesar's wife, shouldn't a frum Jew be especially
extra careful not to violate a law just so there is not even a possibility
for the non-Jew to  erroneously think that the frum Jew flaunts the law, so
that there is no possibility of a Chilul Hashem?

David I. Cohen