[Avodah] Business Halacha - Auto Lease

Henry Topas HTopas at rosdev.com
Sat May 1 18:48:52 PDT 2010

Shavua Tov,

Case:

Reuven leases a car from Shimon's leasing company.

The lease stipulates that upon the end of the lease term, the vehicle
must have a value of $30,000.

The lease does not state by what standard such value is to be
ascertained, whether by wholesale, retail, blue book or any other
guidance.

The lease is now over and Shimon claims that the vehicle is now only
worth $20,000.  Reuven brings multiple classified ads showing that the
same vehicle in the same condition now sells in private transactions for
the stipulated $30,000.

The parties agree to go to a din Torah.

I wish to assist Reuven's to'ayn.  Can any of the chevreh direct me to
the proper p'sakim or sh'uts which may help him?

Thank you,

Cantor Henry Topas

PS:  I am trying to help our R' Micha Berger in his comments a few weeks
back that there is less than an ideal level of participation! On the
other hand, watching and reading the participation of our more active
members is inspiring and IMHO, if the Shas were to be recreated in these
times, it would read very much like Avodah.  Gutteh Voch.