[Avodah] MORE ON WHAT CONSTITUTES CHILLUL HASHEM

Richard Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Fri Apr 30 10:57:27 PDT 2010

Prof. Levine wrote:
> At 04:33 PM 4/28/2010, Zev Sero wrote:
>>  But in most countries the average person breaks the law
>> himself as often as he finds convenient, and certainly doesn't look
>> down on others just for doing things that are illegal.
>
> Can you point to any studies that back up these assertions?

Studies?  Just look around you.  What normal American thinks it's wrong
to jaywalk, or to get a parking ticket, or to smoke a joint, or to bet
on a game?  What normal American would think less of someone for doing so?
If you need a study for that, there's something very wrong.

The above reasoning "...Just look around you." etc. is an invalid syllogism.
It is purely subjective and not based on legitimate research which has academic
credentials. To say "If you need a study for that, there's something very wrong."
merely indicates a lack of understanding of what research is -- namely: The systematic
investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach
new conclusions. Research is not a hit and miss instrument where you think you've got
all the answers because of intuitive observation. To say "Just look around you" reminds
me of one observer who said that milk was the cause of criminal behavior. When asked
how he came to that conclusion, he responded, "Just look at all the prisons. Ninety-nine
percent of everyone incarcerated drank milk as a child."  (Another example of an invalid
syllogism).