[Avodah] Stop illegal dumping of religious items in Lakewood

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 29 08:22:54 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:03:48AM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
:> Temporary items do not receive the same qedushah. The gemara's
:> textbook case is erasing a sheim Hashem written on the beach
:> below the high tide line.

: Something "written on the beach below the high tide line" will be erased
: automatically, with no further human action, and within 24 hours. I
: don't see how this can serve as a basis for something which will last
: for decades or centuries, and the only thing "temporary" about it is that
: it is intended or expected to be read only a very small number of times.

Perhaps (IOW, LAD / IMHO), it's because qedushah depends on the intent
of the person who makes it. Such as the lack of qedushah of a seifer
Torah written by a min. Or the Shakh YD 276:12 allows erasing and
rewriting a sheim (in sta"m) that was written without kavanah.

And so, if it was written without the intent of being permanent, it was
written without the intent of being a davar qodesh, so it isn't.

This goes beyond your comparison to kavanah not to be yotzei, involving
the role of kavanah for sheimos in particular.

:> I am guessing the above was what RAPam had in mind, but it's the
:> line of reasoning in two shu"t Bar Ilan's web site found: Meishiv
:> Davar 2:80, and Ein Yitzchaq 5:7.

: Thank you very much for such precise citations. (I was going to ask
: exactly where can I find that site, but the Wikipedia article on "Bar
: Ilan Responsa Project" showed it to me. Wikipedia is amazing.) I'll look
: them up later.

It's a pay site. (One of our chevrah sponsors my access.) Searches
are free, but clicking on the results to see the text, or just
browsing to a given location, is not. A cheap way to get access
to this and other resources is to join the library at Spertus
<http://www.spertus.edu/asher_cja/feinberg/index.php>. (Ask a she'eilah
about sending funds to such a mosad. My LOR allowed, but YMMV.)

micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Hod: When does capitulation
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  result in holding back from others?