[Avodah] Kiddush in shul Friday night

Saul Mashbaum saul.mashbaum at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 12:24:16 PDT 2010

RSM
The Mechaber had some success in having his [negative] view on Kiddush in
shul on Friday night accepted among Nusach Ashkenaz communities: this
practice is virually unknown in EY

RBWaxman
>Is this because of the Beit Yosef or Talmidei HaGra?

I'm not sure, but the result is the same, in the Mechaber's favor.

The Shmirat Shabbat K'Hilchata  on this subject pointed me to a very brief
interesting tshuva by Rav Tzvi Pesach Frank, Har Tzvi OCh volume I seif 153.
The Har Tzvi was asked if a Nusach Ashkenaz shul in Holon could
institute  Kiddush
in shul on Friday night. He said that this could be done (based on the MA
OCh 269), but it could not be done in Yerushalayim. He gives no reason for
this distinction; he apparently felt the minhag  not to Kiddush in shul on
Friday night is more firmly established in Yerushalayim elsewhere.

I've never seen in done here in Israel, in Yerushalayim or elsewhere.

Please see the Har Tzvi at
http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=20947&st=&pgnum=176&hilite=

Saul Mashbaum