[Avodah] Stop illegal dumping of religious items in Lakewood

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 26 12:41:41 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 05:31:59PM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: R' Micha Berger wrote:
:> R' Pam told R' Matis Blum that me'ikar hadin, Torah periodicals that
:> are usually not kept for a later re-read, such as parashah sheets,
:> that don't actually contain sheim Hashem don't require burial.

: If they are not kept for a later re-read, what DO people do with them?

Unfortunately, RAP is no longer with us to ask. So, I'll guess at his
intent (obviously RMBlum's guess would be of greater value):

They keep them around because they are waiting for later sheimos
collection. And RAP's point is that while this is nice, it's not
obligatory.

You also omit the "usually", which brings use to your later question.

: I honestly do not see any distinction between the typical Parsha
: Sheet handed out in shul, vs. any randomly chosen halacha sefer printed
: by ArtScroll or Feldheim, or even a Gemara

Temporary items do not receive the same qedushah. The gemara's textbook
case is erasing a sheim Hashem written on the beach below the high
tide line.

If the printer can assume that MOST copies are read-once, then he isn't
making permanent product. Therefore, even the few that are kept for
rereading don't have the qedushah of an English sefer.

I am guessing the above was what RAPam had in mind, but it's the line
of reasoning in two shu"t Bar Ilan's web site found: Meishiv Davar 2:80,
and Ein Yitzchaq 5:7.

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 6 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Yesod sheb'Netzach: When does domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507               taking control result in relationship?