[Avodah] Sobering Thoughts as Israel's Independence Day Approaches

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Fri Apr 16 14:44:45 PDT 2010

Israel's Independence will be celebrated on 4/19.

Below are some thoughts regarding the founding of
the Jewish State from A Unique Perspective: The
Essays of Rav Dr. Joseph Breuer.

Page 358

Anyone who is imbued with the eternal truth and validity of
God’s Torah will have to be aware that a state on God’s holy soil
will only be able to endure if the conditions that God has set down
for a Jewish state on His holy soil are met. These conditions apply
to the Jewish entity and to the life of every individual who declares
himself a member of God’s People.

Every word in our Torah is ironclad testimony to these facts.

Page 359

We have expressed it repeatedly in all clarity and intensity: This
state will have a future only if, and as long as, it is organized as a
Jewish state, i.e., a state of God, rising on sacred soil. It will be a
state of God if it proclaims the Torah as the fundamental law of its
constitution and propagates its practical realization in the life of our
people.

Page 365

There must live in us this unshakeable conviction: This State
will last only if it will rise as God’s State on God-holy soil. This
alone will prevent it from suffering the fate of the previous Jewish
States. Will this State live up to this condition? It is still a question,
a source of terrible worry. We wished it were no longer a question!
As certain as it is that this State, the mere fact of its formation,
does not mean that the Ge’ulah has arrived, just as potent is its
ability —as perhaps never before in our Galus-history—to hasten
the coming of the Ge’ulah. What a tragedy if this State, either by
delusion or folly, were to prolong the Galus and provoke new and
terrible catastrophes! May Hashem prevent this from happening.