[Avodah] Who First Said It? 7 - Mourning during Sefirah

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 18:01:58 PDT 2010

Micha:
> I assume you're using this as an indication that the Ari agreed with the
> Zohar lemaaseh because if it were about talmidei R' Aqiva -- why more
> than 32-33 days?

Actually I'm just simply noting that the Arizal's sheeta made it into
the posqim - nothing more.

Warning this is gonna be long...
-------------------

There is another derech/approach

Given 49 days
Take aways shabbos YT ChhM etc. And it leaves 33 days to observe mourning

This somewhat dovetails with my comment to my friend on Passover -the
one who does his 33 days first in order to listen to music during ChHM
and I noted to him that means no 33 days of mourning.

But I confess to being coy, because I had already formulated much of
these concepts so I knew that if one observes EITHER the first 33 or
the last 33, it's not necessarily a full 33 of Mourning anyway...

*****************

At any rate my thesis is primarily that the observences were motivated
by ChhM considerations * and not for aveilus - which I primarily see as
having evolved later on

> Wolpoe's Rule #1 of TSBP - we often know the what without knowing the why

So the WHAT in the Tur is all ChhM stuff EVEN though he gives Aveilus
as the WHY.

That was the first shift

Then the humra spiral began by adding aveilus elements to s'firah in
addition to the original 3 - namely
1. Taspores
2. Nissuin
3. M'lachah

-----------------------

*  Several caveats

A. an alternate version of my hypothesis is - that ChhM and Aveilus were
both there day one, and the minhag originally was designed to take on
the aspects of the common denominators. With this model, extra aveilus
would still not be apropos...

B. The Humros added for S'fira can be seen in Ashkenaz as stemming from
the suffering during the Crusades. If so added aveilus may have evolved
later on, and for highly justifiable reasons but not due to the deaths
of R Akiva's students which arguably triggered much fewer observances

This would mean no humra spiral, but a tragedy spiral R"L instead.

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile